Sunday 30 October 2016

Week #44 - Tasty Experimentation


As the harvest eases, I'm in that sweet spot of having lots of extra food and a bit more time to create some new things! So this week, I experimented with a few new treats in the kitchen! 


A over abundance of red peppers (whoever thought I would write that phrase!) means we are searching for more ways to preserve or process them. We decided to try to dehydrate some peppers as a chewy snack as well as to keep for later in the winter. They can be re-hydrated in stews, sauces and soups. 

We also tried roasting spiced chickpeas! These were tasty and an interesting snack. You can make them as spicy or savory as you want depending on the spices you add. They didn't get as crunchy as I was hoping so I popped the leftovers into the dehydrator to see if they will crisp up. 

Next up was a new recipe designed to use up our butternut squash! The night before I roasted the butternut in the oven with a little bit of olive oil and garlic, mashed with cumin and chili powder. Next I marinated some black beans in some lime juice overnight. When I got home from work, I was toasted pita bread in the oven, spread the squash mixture over the warm pita, followed by the beans, avocado and drizzled with yogurt mixed with some lime juice. For bit of heat, you could sprinkle some cayenne over the top. Turned out pretty good! I think a little bit of cilantro on top would really add some flavour! Definitely one I would do again!  

I've included a picture of our new lunch option section in our fridge! I found that while six people should take a healthy lunch, if there wasn't something relatively easy to grab and go, often people were either not taking a lunch or taking less healthy options! So we resorted to a lunch drawer in the fridge in which we try to keep healthy options ready such as cut vegetables, cream cheese swirls, hummus and mixed nuts and dried fruit. Definitely makes lunches easier and more accessible. Means that less people are 'hangry' (angry from hunger) when they come home from school and work! 

 And finally.... tonight's supper was salmon cakes with fresh leeks from the garden! Salmon (canned or fresh), mayo, eggs, panko breadcrumbs and old bay seasoning are mixed well with your choice of veggies such as green pepper, onions or in our case leeks! Then I pan fried the patties in canola oil. We served them with a curry and mayo mixture that added some zip! They disappeared so they couldn't be that bad! 

Tonight I have a Farmer's Sausage and Potato feast in the crockpot that is smelling wonderful! (for tomorrow's supper). The weekly menu includes a few other new recipes such as Smothered Chicken and an Apple Cider glazed Roast Turkey! 

Wishing you a yummy week! What are you making?  

No comments:

Post a Comment